1. The Integrity Commission Act (“The Act”) received the Governor General’s Assent on 23 October 2017 and came into operation on 22 February 2018 (“The Appointed Day”). The Act effectively combines the functions of three “Legacy Agencies” The Integrity Commission (which received and reviewed financial returns of Parliamentarians), the Commission for the Prevention of Corruption (which received and reviewed the financial returns of Public Servants) and the Office of the Contractor General (which monitored the award and execution of Government Contracts). The Commissioners have met with the Governor General, The Prime Minister, The Leader of Opposition and the Minister of Justice to discuss the operationalizing of the functions of the Commission.
2. Thus far, the Commission has pursued the institutional and administrative integration of the three legacy agencies. In furtherance of this, The Commission has taken steps to engage the necessary expertise to perform a Strategic Review and develop a comprehensive Change Management and Integration Plan. The planned outcome is a “fit for purpose” sustainable organization to support and reinforce the Commission’s role in reducing corruption and improving Jamaica’s standing and alignment with global integrity and anti-corruption standards. The strategic review will guide the competitive recruitment of key personnel including the Executive Director. The Commission anticipates that implementation of the plan will begin September 2018.
3. The Act mandates that the Commission should undertake its functions through divisions, including the following:
i. The Information and Complaints Division
ii. The Investigations Division
iii. The Corruption Prosecution Division
4. As an interim measure, we have assigned the following senior personnel of the Legacy Agencies to act as heads of the divisions:
- Ms. Joy Powell – Information and Complaints
- Mr. David Grey – Investigation
- Mr. Dirk Harrison – Corruption Prosecution
These assignments are made pending the identification and appointment of permanent Directors by the Governor General as mandated by the Act. -The Hon. Justice Karl Harrison, (Ret’d) CD, Chairman, The Integrity Commission.
Contact: The Communications Department, Integrity Commission
C/o The Communications Department, Integrity Commission
E-mail: email@example.com . Tel: 929-6460/929-8560/929-6466, Fax: 929-7335
Commissioners of the new Integrity Commission: The Hon. Mr. Justice (Ret’d) Karl Harrison, CD (Chair); The Hon. Mr. Justice (Ret’d) Seymour Panton, OJ, CD; Mrs. Pamela Monroe Ellis, FCCA, CA; Mr. Eric Crawford, CD; Dr. Derrick McKoy, CD, JP